All Business, Good & Bad

Sometimes, an awful consumer experience. Let's call them out. Okay, mostly. But sometimes awards. Yes? All the accounts are truthful. The names have been changed to protect the innocent and guilty alike. Email me with your stories and I'll include them.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Tycoon Harry's: Quality Men's Grooming

Good Business! Good Business! Good Business!

As promised, All Business, Good & Bad will be dealing not just with poor businesses or disappointing customer service, but experiences that require superlatives.

Tycoon Harrys in Mariemont

The first of these is Tycoon Harry's in Mariemont (Cincinnati), Ohio. As you can see from that graphic, it says "Grooming for Men." That's right: Tycoon Harry's is a full-service Men's Salon.

Yes, I am straight. In today's modern world, men are finally starting to turn from their stressful lives to find that they, too, deserve some pampering, need some pampering; a barber just doesn't do it any more. Which is exactly what went through my mind when I decided I needed to cut a couple inches cut of my mop, face clients like a respectable member of society, and basically get all "clean cut" for "The Man."

The Owner, Jennifer, was my stylist, and greeted me warmly and took me right on time for my appointment. I didn't have a very clear image - or preference - on what I wanted the cut to look like, so after some discussion on the purpose of my drastic change, I left it in her capable hands. I was not disappointed.

The first step was to get rid of a good bit of my hair (incidentally, there was another gentleman there at the same time as I was getting even more hair cut off than I was), so right to the chair for the chopping. Conversation, which can sometimes be so automated or even unbearable, was gentle and genuine throughout the process. After the primary cut, we went over to the basin and I got an excellent wash and conditioning with Crew's Green Tea line, and - damn! - let's just say when I have some more expendable income, I'm going back for that product.

After the wash and conditioning, I struggled to stay awake as a steaming towel warmed my face and blocked out everything else. The following brief neck and shoulder massage relaxed me even further. Jennifer led me - at this point, putty - back to the cutting chair where she fine-tuned my cut and trimmed my apparently-advancing eyebrows. When we were completed there, because I was having a rough week or she was pushing for overwhelming impression, I was offered a sample manicure. Jessica and I chatted with each other while she tended to my cuticles, filed, and buffed to a high shine. The full treatment includes a hand/arm massage.

When I was done, I was wonderfully relaxed and in a much happier state of mind. And the whole treatment cost me only the $25 for the haircut. Except for the manicure, all the extra pampering in included in the price. I left a decent tip for both ladies and walked out the door simply feeling better about being alive.

Seriously, for any men rolling their eyes at me right now: a little pampering, a little time to allow someone else to take control and take your mind off the world can change your outlook for days. Days.

The women at Tycoon Harry's deserve every accolade available to male pampering. They offer a full range of services from the basic cut and coloring to manicures, pedicures, facials, and waxing. All prices are listed on their site. The environment is clean, professional, and relaxing.

Bottom Line: As opposed to not thinking about where I'm going to get my next haircut, I am very much looking forward to returning to Tycoon Harry's and wondering only if I'll be adding a full manicure or a facial next time.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This place is over priced for what you get... $25.00 from some chick who smells like an ashtray. Save your money!

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Ricky Shambles said…

    Note: Anyone who has a credible gripe should probably at least leave your name and make a logical statement, pro or con. Blog trolls sans grammar just piss me off. If you have a genuine concern about the smell of cigarettes when you're expecting a relaxing experience, you should probably call and talk to the owner and not just bitch in front of your computer. I may bitch, but I always attempt to resolve the issue.

    And in this case, it was all good.

    Recap: $25 gets you a wash, hot towel, shoulder massage, cut and style. I go to Best Cuts or someplace comparable and I get a quick cut and poor conversation for $13.

    Point being: this place really impressed me; it is a salon dedicated to pampering men. And damn it, it's about time.

     
  • At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I go to Tychoon Harry's for all my hair styling needs!
    Jennifer is great, as well as the rest of the staff.
    Of special note is Ava...I recently had her cut/style my hair and the results were superlative.

    I'm going to try to get another appointment with her today.
    ANONYMOUS SAID needs to get a "reality check." I known a good ENT that can help with his nose/smelling problem!

    SEM in Union Township

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Ricky Shambles said…

    Anon - excellent comment. I wholly agree!

    Recently checked out the Mariemont Barber Shop and am going to have to post on that too. Thanks!

     
  • At 1:52 AM, Anonymous madlina said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 5:23 AM, Blogger Ricky Shambles said…

    Last comment was thinly-veiled link placement. I don't mind a link in comments, as long as you contribute to the conversation. Thanks!

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Acnemedstore said…

    Great Post! I have very much enjoyed reading these entries!

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Anonymous darryl said…

    I concur with Ricky Shambles. Not only is "anonymous" a coward but he's also very wrong. I was a customer of Tycoon Harry's for a few years when I lived in Cincy and found the service and expertise to be outstanding. Moreover, Jennifer is a CLASS act and runs a great establishment. If you need to cast aspersions and throw darts, then (Anonymous) find a target that is deserving and leave a great place like Harry's and a good person like Jennifer alone. Try to find the same service elsewhere for $25 or even $50 dollars and you'll be challenged to do so. WHATEVER she charges is worth it, she is great stylist and business woman.

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Ricky Shambles said…

    Darryl -

    Thanks for the comment! I couldn't agree more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home